Friday, January 4, 2013

Reflections on 2012



I just found a wonderful site for two things near and dear to my heart, intentional living and simplifying.  When you have a minute go check out Simple Mom.  What led me to Simple Mom was the idea of reflecting and looking forward.  On the site are lists of questions for looking back at 2012 and setting goals for 2013.  In the spirit of the list and without making any copyright infringement I thought I'd take a moment to reflect on 2012.
How do you pick one thing in any of twenty categories that cover twelve months of best, challenge, unexpected obstacles/joys/challenges/relationships/change?  I suppose I could go with writing down the first thing that pops in my mind.  I think I'd better just stick to some easier questions and categories.  Here's what I accomplished this year:
Personally, I learned to sew and can food using a pressure cooker.  I read more than 50 books, some of them excellent, some not so great.  I survived my husband's open heart surgery.  (So did he, in case you were just tuning in and wondered.)

Professionally, I taught 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th and 8th grades.  I raised and harvested 100 chickens, a turkey and a steer. (Yes, I had some help with this but it's a valid accomplishment.)  I became a volunteer for Operation Christmas Child in a year round leadership role.

Spiritually, I learned more about God and who I am in this world and in the next.  I shared my faith in various ways with my children, husband, family and friends.  I worked to develop a heart full of gratitude and joy.

Emotionally, I continued to nurture relationships with my husband, children, sisters and parents.  I consistently took part in several groups outside my family including a book club, homeschool co-op, and church groups.

Physically, I began a routine of regular aerobic exercise and built strength by all the daily tasks that a farm and motherhood requires.

I probably have overlooked something or left out a really important event but in a brief reflective glance I think I covered the majors.

No comments:

Post a Comment