Thursday, February 18, 2010

Weekly Recap 2/15-2/19


Our week began with a snow storm and public school was out until Thursday, Feb 16. Even that day was a 2-hour delay. Friday was the first full day of public school. Because of our diligence and dedication, Friday was a reading and music day for us!

Our snow policy is that snow days are sleep-in days; as are 2-hour delay days. I love the freedom of giving the children a more relaxed day and still knowing we are in control of our calendar and our 180 days.

One highlight this week was dissecting a frog. It was by far the easiest and most interesting dissection we did.

Our week, though relaxed, was productive. It's amazing what you can get done when all extra curricular and out-of-the-house activities are eliminated. We even had time to go to a demonstration by Mark Kistler at a local university. Fun stuff!

K13: Writing Strands 4 - polishing selected pieces of writing
R&S Grammar 8 - complete chapter 7 and Chapter 7 Test
Spelling Power
Lial BCM - Ch 9 Basic Algebra
Fallacy Detective - Ch 17-20
History - China and Confucius
Biology - Amphibians & Reptiles

H10: Writing Strands 3 - #14
Handwriting/Copywork - Draw and Write Through History (Creation through Jonah)
R&S Grammar 5 - #75-#83
Spelling Power
Life of Fred Fractions - Lessons 6-10
Fallacy Detective - Ch 17-20
History - China and Confucius
Biology - Amphibians & Reptiles

S7:
Handwriting/Copywork - Draw and Write Through History (Creation through Jonah)
R&S Grammar 2 - Unit 5 #13-#17
Spelling Power
Math on the Level - Rounding
History - China and Confucius
Biology - Amphibians & Reptiles

10 comments:

  1. ooh! I love your snow day policy, glad you had such a successful week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good week; I'm in awe of all the snow you got!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A dissection - how fun!! Can't wait until my kiddos are old enough for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can almost smell that frog...takes me back to high school :)

    I also appreciate your "snow day policy"! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking the same thing as the comment before me... smelling the frog! :-0

    I too like your snow day policy! I'll have to institute that when my kids are older. Right now if I don't tell them, they don't know anyone has school off! Ahhhh... the bliss of young kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ewwww, I hated dissections in Zoology class. Shiver. That said, my kids would think you were the coolest mom EVER. ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eww - and awesome. We did dissections a few years ago in a co-op. I think I still have two extra frogs in the garage somewhere.
    I love snow days. Our policy is that if there is enough snow on the ground to sled then we must go sledding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been brave enough to dissect anything with my kids. I have to outsource that type of thing!

    Your week looks great. We've just had a ton of snow too and it is so restful just staying at home for once and not having to rush around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never liked dissections but it looks like your crew had an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great week! We recently finished studying China--my kiddos were sad to move on to something else. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete