Sunday, February 21, 2010

Literary Crushes

It's been years since I've had a crush on anyone in real life. I love my husband but that could hardly be considered a crush. That's a first rate love affair and I'm so thankful that it is.

I have to confess that for years I've had a crush on a fictional character. I've followed his adventures since I read the first book over ten years ago. That's a long time for a crush.

Granted, I don't think of him often. Not even every month but when a new book comes out, there I am crushing hard again. It's not just his physical description or his accent. Though they are both beyond charming. It's something about the very essence of the character, pretend though he may be. Maybe it's that I can see my own love, given a kilt and sent back in time, acting in the same manner. Maybe it's that I just really love a man who is able to be a "bloody man" and there are so few of them around.

Whatever it is, my heart turned over in the library this week when I stumbled across the seventh part of his adventures. I had no idea it was published. I was so unprepared for our meeting yet thrilled to see him sitting on the shelf. I felt almost naughty as I grabbed up the book and went to the circulation desk. I'm fairly certain I was blushing.

Now I'm off to snuggle in and reunite with my crush. Anyone else out there with a literary crush?

3 comments:

  1. It concerns me greatly that you go to bed with this crush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reminded of a gift app that one of my daughters made on Facebook - Romantic Literary Menfolk. Of course, since she needed pictures, most of them are from film adaptations but the idea was to pay homage to these romantic men, kwim? Anyway, you made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they never turn my crush into a movie character. I like picturing him MY way!

    ReplyDelete