Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Dinner Tonight: Oven Roasted Barbeque Brisket and Roasted Fingerling Sweet Sweet Potatoes

Tonight we tried some new things.  I never cooked brisket before.  We are cleaning out the final cuts of our last steer from the freezer.  Brisket is almost all that is left.  Here's the recipe I chose to try:  Oven Roasted Beef Brisket I.  This recipe is for a four pound brisket.  My brisket is much smaller.  Of course, I made a few other adjustments to the recipe.

Oven Roasted Barbecue Brisket

1.5 pounds beef brisket
Mrs. Dash and garlic pepper to taste
1 cup barbecue sauce
1 cup beer

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees).
Sprinkle both sides of brisket with seasonings. Place in a large covered roasting pan.
Cook covered at 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) for 1 hour.  This is just the seasoned meat.  Nothing else should be in the pan at this point.
Cover meat with sauce, cover, and cook 1 hour longer.
Remove meat from pan, slice, cover with sauce and let rest for 15 minutes before serving.

Another item from the pantry that needed to be used was fingerling sweet potatoes.  M8 and I went to an auction in the fall and bought these cute little sweet potatoes.  All my normal sweet potato recipes call for much larger, peeled potatoes.  Clearly, something else was needed.  S11 commented tonight about how fortunate we are that we can go look for recipes to make anything.  He is so right! 

The recipe I found for our sweet potatoes was this one.  As so often is the case, I didn't have all the ingredients for the delicious sounding recipe so I took it as a jumping off point.  If you make the actual recipe, let me know.  I'd love to hear how it is.  This is what I ended up making.

Roasted Fingerling Sweet Sweet Potatoes
1 lb fingerling sweet potatoes, washed, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 T olive oil
1/3 c Brown Sugar
½ teaspoon Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, brown sugar and cinnamon.  Place in well oiled pan and cover.  Roast in preheated oven until tender, about 30-45 minutes.


Best of all both these dishes fit in the same over to be cooked at the same time.  I love it when that happens.  I have two ovens but I hate having to heat them both up for a normal dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment