Saturday, January 23, 2010

Book Review: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Charles Dickens story of friendship and fealty in Victorian England is considered a classic for good reason. The characters were compelling and the plot could easily fit in any reality t.v. show or night time soap in the modern world. Many current novelists could go back and read Dickens to learn how to tie together characters and events in unexpected and interesting ways. Too often lately, I've read authors who neatly package the story and totally leave out the element of suspense and surprise.

While I will still say that A Tale of Two Cities is my most loved novel by Dickens this story is well worth the time spent reading it.

I also need to share that, having read two Dickens' novels in the last few months, the language has become so much more manageable. I was able to enjoy the story from the very beginning this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment