Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Why Do I Need a Washer?

My clothes washer stopped working.  It's not the perfect time for something that I count on to let me down.  I really count on my washer.  With a family of six, it's something that is constantly on call and having it has become something that I take for granted. 

I bought my washer and dryer for more than 10 years ago.  In that time washers and dryers have been transformed.  I've watched the transformation but I haven't even been the slightest bit tempted to purchase a new washer or dryer.  Even when we moved into our new house, I wasn't tempted.  Even though our laundry room was designed with the new models in mind and configured in a way that causes our old models to not fit in the space provided.  My washer and dryer are just fine.  I feel the same way about my 2002 over 200,000 mile mini-van.

Unfortunately, my washer is no longer working.  The repair guy said it will cost almost as much to fix it as it will to buy a new similar model.  The thing is, if I get a new washer, I'll want something that's been tranformed and if I get something transformed I'll want a dryer to go with it.

As a result of the inoperable washer, we took our laundry to the laundromat today.  Notice that I said "we".  It was amazing.  Six washers, six dryers, four children, two parents.  Six laundry baskets.  All the laundry washed, dried, folded and put away in just two hours.  It was family time.  Everyone pitched in.  I didn't spend hours doing laundry by myself.  I didn't feel isolated or irritated.  I've never had so much help with laundry.  Why do I need a washing machine again?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment