Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Immovable, Movable, Move

I came across this quote as I was putting together a newsletter this evening and it really spoke to me.

All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable, those that are movable, and those that move. - Benjamin Franklin

My first thought was, "Wow, I know which class I'm in."  My second thought was, "Hey, I didn't know that the first class was an option!"  And that's true in a limited, literal sort of way.  For me it's not but I know others that have moved only rarely in their adult lives.  Some haven't moved at all or have only moved once.  Some have moved more than once but never beyond a five mile radius of their starting point.  

I'm not sure Ben was talking about moving in a literal sense.  In fact, I'm pretty sure he was speaking of adaptability and flexibility when dealing with circumstances of life.  Today, I needed to think about belonging to a certain class in a more literal way.  Moving is a choice that I'm making.  I'm not being dragged kicking and screaming.  I'm not digging in and making things difficult or being immovable.  I'm also not moving because someone else is choosing and I'm just along for the ride.  The independent nature within doesn't like the movable option any more than the immovable.  I'm moving because I've made a choice to love the man I love.  I've made a choice to raise children with him and to be a family together.  I've made a choice to support and encourage him.  I've made a choice to believe that God is taking care of me and that when my prayers are answered  I'd best pay attention and MOVE.

Telling people has been and will continue to be a difficult thing.  Saying good bye is never easy.  There are so many I will probably never see again.  Even in this day and age with the technology and whatnot I am so much more inclined to nurture the relationships I have with family and let all but the most immediate friends go. 

On Thursday at our Bible study brunch, we'll be sharing our favorite room in our house and what makes it our favorite.  I'm not sure what I'll say.  I love every room in my home.  Leaving this house is going to be as painful as leaving any person.  I continue to trust God that the next place will be as much a blessing to me as this home has been.  We've lived here four years, I keep reminding myself.  We lived in our last house for seven years and I gave birth to my youngest daughter on the kitchen floor.  I thought I'd never love another house as I loved that one.  God is good and I am thankful.

And with the knowledge that I am a mover, I continue to look at for sale listings.  I continue to sort through items to be moved and items to be discarded.  I continue to anticipate the new life we will make and I continue to be thankful for the class to which I belong.


No comments:

Post a Comment