Saturday, August 7, 2010

Not Just Any Ice Cream

We are home, not a decision has been made but we did find that ice cream that I predicted.  It's good to accomplish something even when everything else is still up in the air.  The ice cream came from an unexpected source, one of our favorite places in the Parkersburg area, Holl's.

For those of you that haven't had the pleasure of experiencing Holl's you just need to know that it is a chocolate lovers paradise.  It's set up  like a jewelry store displaying each chocolate in a loving and delicious way.  It's the first and only chocolate store I've ever seen give chocolate the staging and respect it deserves.   Chocolate is truly showcased at Holl's in a way that sets in apart.  Not just the display but the chocolate and filling combinations.  There is no fluff here, no mallow, no artificle colors or flavors.  Chocolate, milk, dark and white, and the very best fruit, caramel, and for some, nuts are the only ingredients necessary.

If you are fortunate enough to visit Holl's during strawberry season (true strawberry season, not trucked in strawberry season) then the chocolate dipped strawberries are to die for.  They must be eaten relatively quickly.  I personally prefer not taking them out of the parking lot but one can wait up to two hours, if possessing incredible will power.

If you miss strawberry season, it's possible to find many other outstanding favorites and spend more than $50 on chocolate in less than 15 minutes.  Trust me, I've done it.  However, the point of this story wasn't to wax poetic about chocolate or sing the praises of Holl's, it was to tell you about finding the ice cream.

We pulled up to Holl's this afternoon and were intrigued by the sign hanging on the front claiming gourmet ice cream bars.  We love ice cream and have had some excellent ice cream.  Our local favorite is Graeter's and I doubt you can find better ice cream anywhere on the planet.  I must admit I was sceptical about gourmet ice cream bars.  I scored my $50 worth of chocolate and was preparing to leave when my beautiful children asked in their most angelic voices if they might please, have an ice cream bar.  Being their mother's children they, of course, requested chocolate.  Being a chocolate loving mother I could not refuse their precious request.  Out of the store we came with two gourmet chocolate ice cream bars and I must admit that they were delicious.  Chocolate chocolate chocolate, cold and creamy, on a stick.  Heavenly.  Score another one for Holl's.

As I said earlier, we are still waiting at the crossroads.  No changes to report yet but lots of possibilities.  And delicious ice cream.  I am blessed in so many ways and those ice cream bars are my reminder to pay attention to the blessings even when I'm not sure what's coming next.

No comments:

Post a Comment