Friday, November 16, 2012

Weekly Recap: November 12-16, 2012

This week we made our way through.  It's funny how we stay so busy yet I can't put my finger on exactly what we accomplished.  Yes, we completed the appropriate number of math and grammar lessons.  We are still struggling to catch up with history, physics, and Latin.  It might be because of the time of year or because this is our fourth year of homeschooling, but making a list of what we've done this week is just not happening.  

Instead, I'd rather take a longer view.  Right now it's easier for me to get a true and positive perspective if I take a step back.

M8 is getting to be a great reader.  She doesn't love to read on her own yet.  She's getting there though.  She moves fast and often.  Sitting still to read takes the utmost effort.  She does enjoy an audience and reading aloud while I listen is a treat for us both.

S10 is turning into a real boy.  I'm having a difficult time putting what I mean into words.  He has gotten so tall.  His sense of humor is that of a ten year old boy, a really smart ten year old boy.  He is writing a book.  He has such huge feelings: joy, anger, frustration, contentment.  It's all just below the surface and he struggles to deal with the things he feels that seem bigger than he is.  He loves to play with his younger sister.  He tries hard to impress his older sisters.  I watch him grow and I can't imagine how to help him become a man.  My strategy so far has been to love the boy that he is and pray.  So I love and pray.

H13 is starting to think that public high school might not be for her.  She is confident that she could be successful at a public high school.  I agree.  She has the skills if she chooses to use them.  We spent time this week discussing her future and how she might move in that direction.  Home schooling might be the best choice for her.  We'll be talking more about the right course as we continue this year.  Whatever her path, she has big plans. 

I received several compliments from my children this week that I really appreciated.  I was told that what I do matters.  It's funny how often I forget that simple truth.  I was told that what I do is having an impact and a recognizable benefit.  I was told that I am preparing my children for life.  I was told that I set an example that is inspiring.  Hearing my children express their thankfulness for my efforts, or for just showing up day after day, really gave me a boost.  It's good to know my work is meaningful to others.  I am so thankful for this time in our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment