Monday, March 1, 2010

Book Review: Day After Night by Anita Diamant

Day After Night is the story of Jewish survivors of the Holocaust. It focuses on four women, girls really, who have managed to escape from Europe to Palestine only to find themselves, once again, imprisoned. This time their jail is Atlit, a British internment camp. The story tells the heartbreaking past and present of the four girls as they come back to life.

I was entranced by the characters, their courage and their faults. Each of the girls spoke to me in a way only well formed characters can. The story, much of it based on fact, was riveting. Because of my attachment to the characters, the entire reading of this novel felt very personal, as if I were listening to stories told by my grandmother.

Anita Diamant explored a very sensitive period with tenderness and courage and each of her character reflect both those attributes.

No comments:

Post a Comment