Tuesday, September 4, 2012

On Becoming Heart Smart

I've spent some time over the last few days trying to figure out how to eat a "heart smart" diet.  The internet is wonderful thing.  The amount of information available at my finger tips is incredible, awesome, overwhelming.  And I am overwhelmed.  So, I decided to try something old fashion.  I went to the library in the hope of finding a book or two that would help me on my journey to heart smartness without boggling my brain.

My first question was about coronary artery disease.  If coronary artery disease causes cholesterol, which is made by the body, to collect in the heart, how does decreasing the amount of cholesterol consumed affect the amount of cholesterol produced?

My second question is about prioritizing when choosing foods and reading labels.  A heart smart diet is supposed to control calories, sugar, fat, cholesterol and sodium.  Which is the priority when making choices about foods?  How do you decide which foods are okay and which aren't?

My third question is about running the numbers.  How in the world do I manage this kind of diet without becoming a slave to the calculator?

Over the next few days I'll be adding to this post as I find my answers and probably come up with new questions. In the meantime, if anyone has any tips or suggestions for becoming heart smart, please, feel free to comment.  I need all the help I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment