Thursday, September 22, 2011

Enjoying the Unexpected

Tonight I attended a mom's night out with other mothers from our new homeschool co-op.  The mom's night out was supposed to take place at an area restaurant.  Because this was my first mno with this group and because I've been to other mno's where no one came but me, I called to double check the time and location of the gathering.  I also wanted to be sure that at least one other person was going to be there.  I was assured there would be others attending.

I arrived at the restaurant, went inside to inquire about the group and no one from the group was there.  I was on time, not early or late.  I wandered outside and met another woman also waiting.  Since both of us were new to the group we only recognized each other because we were both alone and uncomfortable.  Before long, a veteran of the group arrived and took us in hand.  No one else from the group was at the restaurant.  We didn't have a table.  The restaurant was crowded.  Seating for regular size groups was 20 minutes.  Seating for a large group would be even longer.  We opted to leave word for any late arrivals and move to a different restaurant nearby.

While the beginning of the evening was dicey, the time spent visiting with and getting to know some of the other mothers was worthwhile.  On the way home I found myself reflecting on how unexpected situations often turn out to be really great. So often I spend time planning and scheming and working it all out only to have my plans altered, adjusted or totally scrapped. 

So many of the wonderful things in my life were unexpected.  Careers, homes, people, situations.  It almost makes me want to stop planning. If I stopped planning it could be that I'd miss the blessings of the unexpected because everything would be unexpected.  That sounds overwhelming.  Perhaps, the unexpected favors the prepared life.

No comments:

Post a Comment