Friday, December 3, 2010

Weekly Recap 11/29-12/3/10

This week was a really good one.  We got almost everything done that we were suppose to do and most of it was done without much pain and anguish.  Everyone is on track, for the most part, and enjoying learning, even me.  I'm still struggling with keeping H11 and K14 up to pace but after reviewing our schedule, we aren't as far behind as I was afraid we were.  Science is the most challenging right now but I've got a plan for catching up and I think we'll be able to pull it off without much strain.

I'm just going to hit the highlight of today because today was a reminder of the reason that we are homeschooling. 

We've been learning about castles, knights and samurai this week.  Today we watched the PBS documentary Castle by David Macaulay.  After watching and talking about the program, we sat down to write and illustrate haiku.  Even after the initial groan from S8, who hates to write but loves to draw, we ended up with some excellent illustrations and poetry.

I think what was most precious was that everyone was learning together, we had fun and we were all able to share our excitement and joy.  These moments are priceless.

Castle
Walls high overhead
Neighbors living side by side
Lords and ladies in charge

Battle
Murder holes above
Knights and soldiers clashing sounds
In the castle yard

Princess
Kind and generous
Beautiful inside and out
Kingdom's true beauty

Working
Killing, farming, fun
Working hard for everyone
Labor for the king

3 comments:

  1. What a great photo! I've been doing a review of where we are at too. And I was pleased to find that we weren't too far behind my plan. Don't you just love those weeks when everything flows without effort, home school clicks and you end the week with a feeling of having accomplished more than just the basic and your reason for homeschooling is rekindled. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo of all the kids sitting beside each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really sweet! I love those moments that remind you why we do this. Good work Mama! :-)

    ReplyDelete