Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thanks Grandmomma & Grandpap

Yesterday, I posted this picture for Wordless Wednesday.  It's my children wearing their newest set of holiday clothes.  My parents are a blessing to me in so many ways.  This week they've blessed me, as they do every Thanksgiving and Easter, by providing beautiful new clothes for each of my children.  Each holiday, a box arrives with a new dress outfit for each of my darlings and I don't have to do anything but enjoy.  I can think of no better gift my parents could give me.

You see, I'm not a shopper.  I don't love stores.  I've learned to cope with them but would rather take four children to the grocery store than one child to the clothing store.  In fact, I'd rather take four children to the grocery store than go clothing shopping alone.  It's that miserable for me.  I don't like looking for something, trying on, purchasing.  The entire process is painful to me.

My parents, knowing this, use the talents they have and take joy in picking an outfit for each of their grandchildren.  They shop at places that are easy for us to make exchanges is sizes or colors happen to be wrong.  They rarely are.  My parents love a sale.  They love the thrill of the hunt.  They love me.  They love their grandchildren.  Each dress and tie through the years reminds us all of their love.  We are, literally, clothed in it.

I wonder how I will show my love to my grandchildren.  Unless something changes drastically, it probably won't be in the form of new clothes.  Perhaps, my love will be displayed as my Grammy displayed hers, in baked beans, potato salad, pepperoni rolls and apple dumplings.  Or maybe I'll be more like my Grandmother and show my love with cereal boxes of their choice opened from the bottom because figuring out which way is up is a silly waste of time when either end works just as well.  However my love is displayed, I know my grandchildren and my children will be loved and will be aware of my love.  I've had some great role models.

No comments:

Post a Comment