Friday, June 22, 2018

Even the Rocks


I pray when I walk the dog each morning. It’s a discipline that wouldn’t work for everyone but for me that physical activity is an act of worship. It MUST BE an act of worship for me to stay committed. Also I have an eager prayer  partner leading me to the service each day.

This morning I was praying and I began to pray for the Women’s ministry at our church. Last night I went to an event designed to spark interest in an upcoming program. I was surprised by the attendance (low) and by the message (high).  The speaker was a video of Christine Caine.  She’s a powerful Australian who is running her race for Christ and against human trafficking.  Her scripture was from Hebrews 12 where Paul talks about running the race.

I have difficulty with Paul and running so I immediately felt on the defensive. She talked about each of us specifically being chosen by the God of eternity to exist in this specific time  in this specific place so if you are wondering if now is your time be aware that the question has been answered. Now is the only time you’ve got.

Her remarks went on to cover our need to speak truth with love and perhaps rather than practicing being politically correct we should be practicing the love of Christ to rescue a dying world.

Praying about the women’s ministry brought me around to talking with God about how God reveals truth.

I’ve been reading a book by Kate Baestrup called Beginner’s Grace.  Kate is a chaplain with the Maine Warden Service and a Unitarian Universalist and she prays beautifully prayers. Her words speak to my heart. Her words are incense to God. Except, she and I may or may not be praying to the same God.  Confounding. So I prayed for Kate and her gifts and our differences and that we would both be called by truth.

Which made me think of Matthew McConaughey and a speech I heard him make concerning the future. First he said, figure out what you aren’t. That will point you toward your purpose.  I asked God if that was truth and God reminded me that God has put before me my purpose (love God, love others).  Understanding whose I am gives me my purpose.

But LORD what about those who don’t know whose they are? Who you are? Who tells them the truth?

God reminded me of Balack who knew the truth of God even though he didn’t understand it.  God reminded me that all of nature (and many people) speak to God’s truth without understanding.  God reminded me that if people are silenct concerning God’s truth, even the stones will cry out.

So I prayed:
Dear God thank you for the gift of truth. Please keep the truth before me and couple it with understanding. Thank you LORD for the rocks. Dear God, am I a rock?

No comments:

Post a Comment